toxy v2 - Terraria Packet Editor / Proxy
Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:53 am
Terraria 188.8.131.52 Packet Editor / Proxy
What is toxy?
- toxy, short for Terraria Proxy, is a project I started back in 2013 to demonstrate the flaws of the Terraria network protocol. toxy makes it very clear that the client contains an excessive amount of control while connected to an online server that it should not have.
While using toxy, users can manipulate the packet flow between their game client and the game server allowing the user to do various things such as:
- Drop any incoming and outgoing packets entirely so that the client never handles them or the game server never sees them.
- Ignore any incoming unwanted packets such as incoming damage to your player, or incoming buff updates that you may not want.
- Alter outgoing packets to manipulate things such as the amount of damage you are doing.
- Inject outgoing packets to hurt other players or npcs without even doing anything.
- Inject incoming packets to reset the world spawn and teleport to anywhere you want.
- And much much more!
What is the point of toxy?
- toxy was originally created to raise awareness of how poorly thought out and maintained the Terraria network protocol is. The hopes were to, in a way, get a lot of people using it making server owners complain more on the forums to get Redigit to understand the need of a major overhaul to the games protocol.
Sadly, the only real response that was ever obtained from Redigit was on the lines of:
"I don't give a shit about multiplayer." - Redigit
That said, toxy is now more of a hack/cheat tool in general for people to mess around with.
- As of toxy v2, toxy now includes a full addon system allowing users to easily and quickly script their own changes to toxy and load them on request via the form of Lua addons. Addons are state-independent scripts that are executed real-time while toxy is running. This means that scripts have access to everything within toxy.
Addons have full access to the following information:
- Incoming and outgoing packet traffic.
- toxy's command system.
- Easy to use and manipulate packet wrappers.
- And more!
Detection / Banning Info
- As-is, toxy is not at all detectable by a server. Terraria has no method of allowing servers to know what is running on your system or is actively altering information from the client. That said, just connecting to a server with toxy active is not detectable.
However, when you start using addons, there are methods of detecting that you are cheating based on the server. tShock has no method of determining that you are using toxy specifically but it does have a handful of checks and such in place to catch cheaters.
Some things that can get you caught cheating would be:
- Manipulating your outgoing damage against other players and npcs.
- Ignoring incoming damage from others.
- Ignoring incoming buff updates from the server.
- Teleport hacking to other players or across the map etc.
- Using an invalid name or Uuid upon connecting to the server.
- And various other things.
- [CHG] toxy is fully written in WPF now rather then WinForms.
- [CHG] toxy is fully rewritten to be a lot more optimized / stable
- [ADD] toxy now includes a full scripting backend via Lua.
- [CHG] toxy now handles all additional hacks/changes in the form of addons.
- [REM] Hacks on the main window have been removed and are instead moved to addons.
- [ADD] toxy now includes pre-made wrappers for every single packet in the game instead of just a select few.
- [FIX] Fixed some underlying bugs with the core of toxy.
- [FIX] Fixed some issues with the proxy library that toxy makes use of for proxied connections. (For ban evasion.)