Registration Code (Part 1): w%kQ6
Registration Code (Part 2): b<#$1[*(cw~
In order to register on this forum, you must use the codes above. Combine them into one code (copy paste).

I Hate Namebrand Laptops (Don't Buy Lenovo Products)

A place to rant about something, give constructive criticism or otherwise soft-flamming. (Direct hate, extensive flamming or similar will be removed. Keep it friendly.)
atom0s
Site Admin

I Hate Namebrand Laptops (Don't Buy Lenovo Products)

Post by atom0s » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Tonight I got fed up with my laptop blue screening due to bad graphics card drivers and have settled on the fact that I will never buy another laptop again with the intent to use it for anything graphic intensive. My experience could be singled out to the brand I went with, Lenovo, but I'm not holding my breath that no other company is as bad when it comes to driver support and updates.

Lenovo is known for tweaking the mobile chips that are within their laptops that contain dedicated graphics chips. For example, my Lenovo laptop came with a GeForce GT 745M. While the tweaks can be beneficial and all but they certainly come at a cost. You are not able to use stock Nvidia drivers for your machine. Instead you are stuck using the drivers that Lenovo ships with the machine or offers on their website.

This is where my complaints come in.. the current driver offered for my laptop is from late 2013, early 2014.

My driver version: 332.10
Latest Nvidia driver version: 358.87

Lenovo's driver is nearly two years old.

Trying to contact them yields endless unreplied emails. Their forums are full of non-answered posts. Complaints of similar issues of drivers being extremely outdated.

This is not the only driver with the same issue too. Every single driver listed for my machine is nearly 2 years old. The few that claim to be recent 2015 updates are merely installer wrappers that were redone with an outdated bundled driver inside.

I DO NOT recommend Lenovo to anyone looking for a gaming machine, graphics processing machine, or similar. You will regret the choice shortly there after. And I feel very bad for those that buy a laptop from them during a bad revision of an Nvidia driver whom get stuck on that driver version.
Derp~
Need a great web host? Check out: AnHonestHost.com

Donations can be made via Paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... Q2GRT6KUJN
shadowdao

Re: I Hate Namebrand Laptops (Don't Buy Lenovo Products)

Post by shadowdao » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 pm

My MSI laptop has done pretty well, but you need to make sure you keep the fans clear and if you are gaming on it, having a powered fan pad does help.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152691 is the one I went with.
swaglord123

Post by swaglord123 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:18 am

tbh. I own a lenovo laptop from 2012 ( currently writing from it) and never had any problems with it. I got a GeForce GT 640M and i3 and i can run pretty much all games <2014 and I never had problems with drivers , I can use official drivers from nvidia + the lenovo come with nice speakers
atom0s
Site Admin

Post by atom0s » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:27 am

swaglord123 wrote:tbh. I own a lenovo laptop from 2012 ( currently writing from it) and never had any problems with it. I got a GeForce GT 640M and i3 and i can run pretty much all games <2014 and I never had problems with drivers , I can use official drivers from nvidia + the lenovo come with nice speakers
Mine cannot be upgraded. If I touch the drivers at all it will just blue screen anytime the graphics chip is touched.
The second a game tries to start, it will bluescreen.

I'm stuck using the crappy old driver it came with.
Derp~

swaglord123

Post by swaglord123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:47 am

atom0s wrote:
swaglord123 wrote:tbh. I own a lenovo laptop from 2012 ( currently writing from it) and never had any problems with it. I got a GeForce GT 640M and i3 and i can run pretty much all games <2014 and I never had problems with drivers , I can use official drivers from nvidia + the lenovo come with nice speakers
Mine cannot be upgraded. If I touch the drivers at all it will just blue screen anytime the graphics chip is touched.

Maybe you got a damaged one ,did you try on other OS ?
atom0s
Site Admin

Post by atom0s » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:36 am

swaglord123 wrote:
atom0s wrote:

Yes this has had multiple OS's on it already. Chip works fine so I doubt there is damage.
Derp~

swaglord123

Post by swaglord123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 am

atom0s wrote:
swaglord123 wrote:
atom0s wrote:

Yes this has had multiple OS's on it already. Chip works fine so I doubt there is damage.
I don't know maybe you were just unlucky with choosing the wrong laptop... Don't need to blame the whole brand , for example i bought a samsung tablet for ~180 usd which couln't run almost any game , and now i own a lenovo tab for 80 bucks and it can run perfectly all games , even the AAA (not counting games that need tegra) but yeah I don't blame say samsung is useless,because time changes , I don't know why do I even write this, you are interested in computer's so you should know this. Comparing the lenovo to a sony vaio i had to play with, lenovo btfo out the vaio. Sorry for bad english and grammar
atom0s
Site Admin

Post by atom0s » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:31 pm

swaglord123 wrote:I don't know maybe you were just unlucky with choosing the wrong laptop... Don't need to blame the whole brand , for example i bought a samsung tablet for ~180 usd which couln't run almost any game , and now i own a lenovo tab for 80 bucks and it can run perfectly all games , even the AAA (not counting games that need tegra) but yeah I don't blame say samsung is useless,because time changes , I don't know why do I even write this, you are interested in computer's so you should know this. Comparing the lenovo to a sony vaio i had to play with, lenovo btfo out the vaio. Sorry for bad english and grammar
The problem is, is that mobile chips rely on the manufacturer to maintain driver sets for. It is not up to Nvidia to ensure the latest drivers will work with the mobile chip since the chip is tweaked and tuned for the device it is put into and mass produced. This leaves Lenovo in charge of keeping the driver up to date, which they don't.

Samsung is just as guilty of this with Android versions on their flagship devices. I have both a Samsung phone and Samsung tablet, both are less than two years old and they are running on extremely outdated versions of Android.

The phone is AT&T's responsibility to manage the current Android version, which they don't.
The tablet is Samsungs direct responsibility to manage the current Android version, which they don't.

Samsung has a class action lawsuit against them currently because of this. Flagship devices that cost upwards to $800 receive 0 updates within their typical two-year life span. You are basically paying for something that is guaranteed to be outdated and vulnerable from the day it's released.

Lenovo is in the same boat in terms of not keeping their products updated with newer drivers. While there is no class action lawsuit against them, there are plenty of others that have made this same complaint online as me.
Derp~