Registration Code (Part 1): w%kQ6
Registration Code (Part 2): b<#$1[*(cw~
In order to register on this forum, you must use the codes above. Combine them into one code (copy paste).

Humblebundle - Beware of 'ripoff tactics'...

A place to rant about something, give constructive criticism or otherwise soft-flamming. (Direct hate, extensive flamming or similar will be removed. Keep it friendly.)
atom0s
Site Admin

Humblebundle - Beware of 'ripoff tactics'...

Post by atom0s » Thu May 26, 2016 1:58 pm

In a past post I made about Grim Dawn's change in policy AFTER people had already paid for something, which you can find here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114

I explained how a contractual agreement was made upon backing their game during the alpha that you would obtain a DRM free copy of the game when it was released. However, this is not the case now and instead, you are forced to either pick keeping the Steam copy or get the DRM free version on GoG.

I contacted Humblebundle last night, the company that was handling their early-alpha access purchases about the issue. I asked in my first ticket if I could get my DRM key and was told that I would have to surrender my Steam copy for them to give me it:
Hello,

I just need to give you a heads up. In order to get you a GoG key, we'd have to revoke your Steam key. As long as you're good with that, we'll go ahead and issue you your GoG key. Please respond and confirm that and we'll get it taken care of for you.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

-Drew
Humble Bundle
I explained this is not what I paid for and even linked to the web archive version of the website for Grim Dawn. Pointing out that what I paid for said I would have two copies of the game upon release. Drew told me that this is not the case anymore and that I would have to pick either keeping the Steam copy or giving it up in order to get a DRM free key.

At this point, I asked for a refund. I was not given what I paid for, which would qualify this as fraud given that a promise was made to a customer at the time of purchase that was revoked and edited later, without my (or any other backers) consent. To which I was given this response:
Hello,

I'm afraid that we're not able to offer refunds for purchases older than 60 days. After that time period has elapsed, we send the funds to the developers. In order to receive a refund, you would need to contact them directly.

You can contact them from this page: http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php

It's kind of small, but the email icon is beneath the "Grim Dawn Play Now $24.99" image. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Kindest regards,

-Drew
Humble Bundle
So here we can see that developers can exploit Humble's refund policy of 60 days and just steal people's money. Give an empty promise that backers and supporters will assume is legit and going to happen to just completely fuck them over as long as it's 60 days later to avoid any type of refund / chargeback.

Along with that it allows developers to exploit payment systems like Paypal as I can no longer dispute the charge given that I was given what I paid for.

I cannot say it enough but I DO NOT recommend Grim Dawn and I WILL NEVER recommend anything that comes from its developers.

I also will never be using Humble to buy another game ever, and will never back another alpha based game. These websites and systems are designed to fuck the backers over if they decide to change their mind or go under.

If you want to try and play Grim Dawn, just pirate it.
Derp~
Need a great web host? Check out: AnHonestHost.com

Donations can be made via Paypal:
https://www.paypal.me/atom0s