Registration Code (Part 1): w%kQ6
Registration Code (Part 2): b<#$1[*(cw~
In order to register on this forum, you must use the codes above. Combine them into one code (copy paste).

Steamless - General discussion

SteamStub DRM remover that unpacks SteamStub DRM protected games.
paul44

Steamless - General discussion

Post by paul44 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:50 am

Not sure why the other (v3) topics are locked, so decided to start a "generic" one then...

When trying out this tool on Shadow of Mordor (doing some debugging exercises on this game), I got an CLR20r3 error. Spent pretty much 2 hrs fiddling with .NET installers, before returning back here and reading ALL topics on the subject.
Found out one needs to extract all files (incl plugins subfolder!) to get this running.
(hint: should only take 15mins or so to test if all necessary files are available, instead of leaving it to MS hitting us with some cryptic message :)).

Anyways: the tool did its job well, but wanted to give some feedback.
1. you still need the steamapi in your game folder (or it will complain)
2. prenote: I was NOT able to launch the game from within the debugger (x64dbg), which was the main reason to try this out. but after some experimenting, found out that - once you loaded a save game - things seem to work fine (sofar ~ I've been working with it for about a week now).
I was now hoping to remove the steam stub so that I could launch the game via the debugger altogether:
- game still crashes (ntdll.dll) when trying to open the exe via the debugger: it seems to "jump" to the end of the module memory area (part of steam?). checking Memory Map does show that the '.bind" part has been removed though...
- one can attach at some point during startup - usually as soon as I see the intro movies - (with the original exe, it would hang at some point), and game gets to main menu. continue though and it will crash again (happens when ntdll is in focus)...

I do not have much experience with debugging at the moment, so can't tell if this "attach" approach will work for many/most steam games; but one can always try...

Q: is it possible to find out which version is used (with/without tool); either using a debugger/hexeditor/etc?
atom0s
Site Admin

Re: Steamless - General discussion

Post by atom0s » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 am

paul44 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:50 am
Not sure why the other (v3) topics are locked, so decided to start a "generic" one then...
The other threads were locked due to people acting childish in them.
paul44 wrote:
When trying out this tool on Shadow of Mordor (doing some debugging exercises on this game), I got an CLR20r3 error. Spent pretty much 2 hrs fiddling with .NET installers, before returning back here and reading ALL topics on the subject.
Found out one needs to extract all files (incl plugins subfolder!) to get this running.
(hint: should only take 15mins or so to test if all necessary files are available, instead of leaving it to MS hitting us with some cryptic message :)).
I see no need to add this when people should be extracting everything included. As well as not running something straight from the zipped package.
paul44 wrote:
1. you still need the steamapi in your game folder (or it will complain)
This is stated in several spots that I do not touch this layer of the DRM for legal reasons. Steamless only handles the packer/protector layer, the API integration is up to users to figure out themselves. There are plenty of SteamAPI emulators around the net that can be used if people want to completely remove things. Also, given how the SteamAPI works, it would be impossible for me to remove it from every game using a generic code base. Given that the SteamAPI layer is not something simply wrapped around the full exe but instead coded into functions and so on to do things such as looking up saves on the cloud etc. it would be literally impossible to do this for all games.
paul44 wrote:
2. prenote: I was NOT able to launch the game from within the debugger (x64dbg), which was the main reason to try this out. but after some experimenting, found out that - once you loaded a save game - things seem to work fine (sofar ~ I've been working with it for about a week now).
I was now hoping to remove the steam stub so that I could launch the game via the debugger altogether:
- game still crashes (ntdll.dll) when trying to open the exe via the debugger: it seems to "jump" to the end of the module memory area (part of steam?). checking Memory Map does show that the '.bind" part has been removed though...
- one can attach at some point during startup - usually as soon as I see the intro movies - (with the original exe, it would hang at some point), and game gets to main menu. continue though and it will crash again (happens when ntdll is in focus)...
This sounds like custom protection on their end then. If the .bind section is removed, then SteamStub is gone and no longer interfering with what you are doing.
paul44 wrote:
Q: is it possible to find out which version is used (with/without tool); either using a debugger/hexeditor/etc?
The patterns Steamless uses are how it determines which version of the packer is in use. However v3 has the same pattern for all versions of the packer so you also need to check the header size of the stubs information block to determine the sub-version (ie v3.0 3.1 etc.)
Derp~
Need a great web host? Check out: AnHonestHost.com

Donations can be made via Paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... Q2GRT6KUJN
paul44

Re: Steamless - General discussion

Post by paul44 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 am

Thx. For completeness sake: excellent product and no negative feedback/undertone was intended. Also: I've been trying out ScyllaHide in the meantime, which seems to be doing a good job (even with Steam DRM intact). And indeed found out they also use DbgUiRemoteBreakin additionally; and maybe more... And on a final note (just verified to be sure): the tool states which DRM variant is detected... there you go :)
(and yeah, pretty dumb from my part not extracting everything - I just extracted the exe+config in my game folder, thinking that should be it - I thought plugins were for dev_purposes)
On a sidenote: tried it on another steam game, and got 'Failed to unpack'. Which happened to be logic since there was no '.bind' section...